Clean eating recipes for children and families by Lohralee Astor and Tali Shine from their new book Feeding the Future
Fairy Wand Shortbread Cookies
Children love treats on a stick and these fairy wand biscuits are no different. They are delicious on their own or you can always spread a bit of Un-Nutella (recipe on page 36 of the book) on them!
• Coconut oil (melted to grease)
• 1 cup/250g coconut oil
• 1/2 cup/120ml maple syrup
• 2 cups/300g gluten-free plain flour (sifted)
• 1/2 cup/90g rice flour (sifted)
• FTF Raw Berry Jam
- Preheat oven to 300F/150C.
- Brush 2 baking trays with melted coconut oil to grease.
- Use a hand mixer to beat the coconut oil and maple syrup together in a bowl until creamy.
- Mix both flours.
- Add the combined flour slowly, beating on low speed until almost fully combined.
- Mix the dough together in a bowl with your hands, then knead on a lightly floured surface.
- Flatten dough with a rolling pin before cutting out stars or hearts with a cookie cutter.
- Bake the shortbread for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Keep shortbread on trays and set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To finish your fairy wands, coat 2 shortbread cookies of the same size with FTF Raw Berry Jam, then press together with a popsicle stick in between.
Banana Oat Pancakes and Un-Nutella
This yummy scrummy dish will have your kids fighting over the last bit. The oats in these pancakes are filled with fibre and the bananas are rich in potassium. The cottage cheese is loaded with protein and calcium making this a delicious and perfectly balanced first meal of the day. Better yet, they are so easy to make!
• Coconut oil for cooking
• 1 1/4 cup/200g gluten-free rolled oats (you can also use whole oats, but keep in mind these contain gluten)
• 4 eggs
• 1 scant cup/100g cottage cheese
• Un-Nutella (recipe on page 36 of book), cinnamon, banana or berries
- Blend the ingredients in a food processor.
- Heat a non-stick pan at medium heat, then add coconut oil to the pan.
- Pour ingredient mixture into the heated pan by the 1/4 cup/60ml.
- Cook until you see little bubbles that stay popped (roughly 2 to 3 minutes per side).
- Serve with Un-Nutella, a sprinkle of cinnamon, banana slices or fresh berries.