The First Foods Book is the brainchild of the good folk at Ella’s Kitchen, and covers every step of the weaning journey from six months to one year
We’ve crammed loads of extras into these scrambled eggs to make them especially delicious. Our little taste tester at our photoshoot gave them a massive cheer!
What you need
- 10g / ¼ oz unsalted butter
- 1 tomato, deseeded and diced
- 1 spring onion, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons no-salt, no-sugar canned sweetcorn, drained
- A large pinch of Chinese 5-spice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Small pitta bread, warmed and cut into fingers, to serve
What to do
Heat half the butter in a small saucepan over a medium–low heat and cook the tomato, spring onion and sweetcorn for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened.
- Stir in the 5-spice.
- Beat together the eggs and milk in a small bowl or jug.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan and, when melted, pour in the egg mixture.
- Cook over a low heat, stirring and folding the eggs continuously until scrambled.
- Serve with fingers of pitta bread.
Instead of the sweetcorn and Chinese 5-spice, you could add some cooked peas and a little fresh thyme or basil. Or, shred a few baby spinach leaves and cook with the tomato and spring onion (leave out the sweetcorn), and stir in a pinch of mild curry powder.
Ruby Red mini-muffins
The bright colour of these muffins makes them irresistible to little hands. Best of all, the sweetness comes from beetroot and carrot, so there’s no need for any naughty ingredients!
What you need
- 55g/2 oz unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 140g/5 oz plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 150ml/¼ pint natural yoghurt
- 30g/1 oz feta cheese, grated
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 100g/3½ oz cooked beetroot (not in vinegar), patted dry and grated
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme leaves
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Grease 20 holes of 1 or 2 mini-muffin tins.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking
- powder into a large bowl and stir until combined, then make a well in the centre.
- Beat together the egg, yoghurt and melted butter in a bowl, then gradually pour into the dry ingredients and add the feta, carrot, beetroot and thyme.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir together gently but thoroughly until just combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the prepared muffin holes, then bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes until risen. Leave to cool slightly, then cool completely on a wire rack.