With the start of a new school year comes the demand for new shoes, additional kit and a uniform overhaul – and the inevitable scramble in early September. Avoid the rush and stock up now, with NEXT who are offering an extensive collection of essentials.
Here’s our top ten.
1) New shirts. You can never have enough school shirts. One school’s advice is: ‘one to wear, one for the wash and one to lose’ – but three’s still not enough. Start the year with fresh packs of shirts – these ones have some added stretch in their iron-free cotton/polyester blend. £12-£17 for two; ages 3-16.
2) Trousers. Last year’s ones are definitely too short now – and new trousers are a challenge because our little darlings can be very fussy in this department. There’s a huge range of cuts, colours and shapes for girls age 3-16 at NEXT.
3) The winter jacket. The one you bought last year is probably lost or too small, so why not try this shower-resistant puffer? It comes in lots of colours and is unisex – just size up if it needs to fit over a blazer. £20-£26; ages 3-16.
4) Where’s your PE kit? Nobody knows. Polo shirts come in packs of five – in slim or standard fit – priced at £15-£21. See shirts, above: you’ll need a spare.
5) Little girls will love this bow pocket cardigan, which comes in all school colours £9-£14.
6) We all know that backpacks get thrown around and battered, or once again…. lost! Express your individuality with this Captain America backpack, £14, suitable for infants and juniors.
7) A metal water bottle is a must for keeping water chilled. This Hype bottle, £15, comes in lots of designs, so one of them is bound to meet with approval.
8) Did you know that next sold stationery? You can even stock up on coloured pencils here, to replace last term’s lost/broken ones. This Ban.do set of 10 even comes with motivational compliments on each pencil. “You’re such a good friend,” they say. £12
9) It’s important to get the right pencil case, and requirements can change frequently. Glitter may or may not be acceptable for September 2021 – and would this one count as an exam-approved transparent case? Ask your child. £7
10) Finally, shoes. Actually the most important purchase. A good fit is essential, and velcro is advised for primary school. Again, your child might have strong opinions but the selection at NEXT is bound to have something acceptable. These elastic lace shoes look sturdy and comfortable, £28-£38. Let the battle commence.