The founder of Kensington Mums gives us ten reasons why she recommends you go on a mums-only holiday – and soon…
Being Mum is one of the hardest yet most rewarding jobs in the world, but so little time is devoted to actually exploring what we need in order to achieve our potential for our little ones and ourselves.
As mothers, we are skilled at multi-tasking, but we are especially skilled at putting ourselves last. We prioritise our kids’ and family’s needs ahead of our own, and we constantly look out for others, neglecting to replenish ourselves. We too often forget to fit our own oxygen masks first.
You may recently have seen that the Kensington Mums team went on a beautiful trip to Greece. Why was this journey so noteworthy? It was a mums-only holiday. It also happened to coincide with my birthday – and it was the perfect present.
So here are my top reasons why I would strongly recommend taking a mums-only holiday yourself:
1. You get to reconnect, reset and repair. Our lives are overcrowded and overscheduled and this means there is very little time for yourself. Motherhood is 24/7, demanding and you are always on-the-go. This is your time, to take care of you.
2. You learn to reflect and reconnect with yourself, set priorities for important things in your life and reassess things that are going wrong. In our modern, fast-paced world, our mind is a busy one, with so many tabs open at the same time. Being on holiday offers that quiet space for reflection and self-exploration, something that is hard to do in your daily mummy routine.
3. You get to loosen up and be the “real you”, and let off some steam by just having fun and doing the things you enjoy most.
4. You enjoy being around other like-minded mums, especially if they’re close friends. It helps you to have more fun and, most importantly, in being you! Enjoying yourself, laughing and talking about anything you like (only sometimes about the kids) is a fantastic feeling.
5. You don’t feel any kind of guilt. It’s very important for a mother to look after herself, her wellness and her wellbeing. It is not selfish; it is a necessity.
6. You get to sleep! Enough said.
7. You take leave from your parenting role. This means while on my recent mums-only holiday, I did not: clean, cook, bribe, or break up fights, clean dirty noses or wipe any bottoms. The only thing I enjoyed doing was capturing every moment.
8. You get to rediscover a new or lost hobby or sport.
9. You get to create happy memories for yourself, and that’s a wonderful thing to invest in.
10. And last but not least – I know I’ve already said this, but it can’t be said enough – you get to be you. Not mummy you, nor wifey you, but the person that is really you.
Getting away on a mums-only holiday does wonders for you, your sanity, your equilibrium and your family, too. Of course you miss your offspring – but then coming home to them is something to look forward to. I was re-energised and ready for the back-to-school routine and chaos.
Just remember: there’s no such thing as a perfect mother; we are all doing our best. You should live to your own expectations and no one else’s.
Three to try:
Gather your friends together, put the rest of your family on duty, and book one of these mum-friendly retreats…
Chenot Palace Gabala
The seven-day Advanced Detox Henri Chenot Programme is perfect for a mums-only break. Set in the gorgeous hills of Gabala, Azerbaijan, the retreat includes three consultations, two nutrition sessions, a detoxifying diet and assessment of oxidative stress, vascular age stiffness and skin collagen analysis. Each itinerary comprises Hydro-Jet and Phyto-Mud treatments. €3,400 per person;
This luxe five-star hotel, based in the ancient city of Paphos, has launched the A Taste of Cyprus Package that’s ideally suited to mums in need of R&R. During a five-night stay, you not only get the chance to indulge in plenty of local cuisine, but cook it, too. Two classes led by the hotel’s chefs are thrown in, and you’ll learn to make delicious Cypriot specialties.
From €1,174 per room, based on two sharing;
The Escapada Experience
From 1-4 June 2019, this mummy-only retreat invites tired, under-pampered mamas to unplug and rebalance. Alternative beauty treatments, expert consultations, ayurvedic cuisine, cooking demonstrations, local excursions, daily yoga, meditation and acupuncture are all included, while you learn to get your self-care routines back on track. From £850 per person;